Subject: [Leica] I dropped my M!
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 05:44:57 -0700 (PDT)

Ouch!

The other thing about split rings is that some of them can, over time, chew
up web strapping.

I've been very happy with the solution to the split ring problem that
Gonzalo Medina suggested here: to use short lengths of Kevlar cord to tie
the strap loops to the lugs. Although I haven't had this in place for a long
period of time, they seem to work very well, and have the added benefit of
not causing bright marks. Also the Kevlar doesn't lock up sideways against
the lug and torque on it, which may eventually loosen the lug and cause
light leaks.

The only potential down side I can see in using the Kevlar cord is with lugs
that are so worn that they have developed a sharp edge, which may slowly
hack at the cord.