Subject: [Leica] Nokton f/1.1 and Noctilux f/1 v.2
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:35:08 -0700

Last Friday Tom Abrahamsson loaned me his
blueprinted f/1.1 Nokton, and I shot and my v.2
Noctilux f/1 side by side on M8's. For the most
critical stuff I used the same body and switched
lenses. I took about 600 shots.

Historical notes: I had a 50/1.2 Noctilux a long
time ago (after having tried and handed back such
things as Canon f1.2 and f0.95 attempts), and
when the f/1 came out I compared them and got the
f/1. I had it for a long time, but after a while
didn't take that many pictures with it (mostly
because I didn't feel like hauling a lens of that
size/weight around) so I sold it.

In the mid 90's I saw another 50/1 in pristine
condition for a superb price so I bought it. It
still doesn't get used an awful lot, but it is
the only f/1 lens I have :-) and the investment
wasn't that great, so I've kept it, but mostly
use the 50/1.4 ASPH.

The Nokton has higher contrast at f/1.1 than the
Noctilux at f/1. Flare levels are quite close,
but the Noctilux has a slight bit less so that
shadows are a bit darker than those of the
Nokton. The Nokton has a lot less focus shift, so
between that and the higher contrast and
resulting sharpness the Nokton is a much better
all-round lens. A bit of distortion in such a
lens doesn't bother me, and both have about the
same level. By f/5.6 or 8 they are about equal in
overall performance, but from f/1.4 on neither
can be confused with a 50/1.4 ASPH.

I took a number of shots of evenly lit surfaces,
and tried to determine the relative transmission.
The Nokton transmitted about 0.47 stops less at
3500?K at the center of the image. I would assume
that in daylight that difference might well be
less, as the Noctilux is known for being a 'warm'
lens and optimized for warmer wavelengths. As my
Noctilux is coded, I assume that in-camera
correction took care of the slight falloff over
the M8 frame, making it definitely less than that
of the Nokton. In any case, vignetting wasn't an
issue with either lens.

In general, I'm OK with the general look of
either lens. The Noctilux has softer OOF areas,
and the perception of isolation is definitely
greater. This is probably due to the slightly
shallower actual depth of field as well as the
types of correction. In any case, none of the
harshness in either of the lenses of the 50/1.5
shots.

The size and weight of both lenses is still an
issue, but as a new high speed lens the Nokton is
excellent, and especially excellent value as are
most Voigtlaender lenses. If I were looking for a
high speed 50 now, the Nokton would be at the top
of my list since I am certainly not going to
spring for the f/0.95. As things stand, I'll keep
my Noctilux.

Since Tuesday Tom's had his Nokton back and my
Noctilux, and took a bunch of B&W shots on film.
He'll probably have something to say about that.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com