Subject: [Leica] M8 v M9--better printers needed
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 13:50:11 -0400

Baryta inkjet papers are great for people who never accepted inkjet
photographic prints as "real photographs". But feel the only "real
Photographs" come out of darkrooms. If this was my feeling I would be
printing darkroom prints with darkroom paper as I did rather intently for
30 years.
They would look just like darkroom prints.

I don't want my inkjet prints to look like darkroom prints any more than I
want my darkroom prints looking like inkjets or my Platinum prints looking
like darkroom prints.
I want my inkjet prints looking like inkjet prints.
Because that what they are.
And no apologies are needed for them I feel my prints are nothing less then
gorgeous..
I'm going to stop typing and print one right now.
I just did.

100% rag inkjet prints have been accepted by serious collectors for near a
decade now. With pigment "ink" sitting on top of them.

Does Baryta "improve" their look or just make them look like the darkroom
prints we've been looking at for the previous century?
It makes them look "smoother" I just read.
I don't understand this need for smoothness.
My prints don't seem the slightest bit rough.

I'll have to see the stuff.

Rough!

Mark William Rabiner