Subject: [Leica] IMG: Information Needed on Cause of Lawn Circle
From: gwpics at me.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:03:47 +0100

I think these are caused by a tread fungus and here is an explantory
clip from a web site:

"These descriptions are typical of fairy rings caused by a diverse
family of fungi called basidiomycetes. Fairy rings might be six inches
to two feet wide and can be anywhere from two feet to hundreds of feet
in diameter and expanding yearly.
The presence of mushrooms usually indicates an organic source of
nutrients, such as a buried tree stump, is nearby. When you see a
mushroom growing in a lawn, you are only seeing a small part of the
fungus. The fungus also grows underground as a thread-like mass that
is called mycelium. This mycelium tends to grow in all directions from
a central point. Thus, an invisible circular pattern occurs. The
fruiting bodies (mushrooms) then tend to appear in a circular pattern."

This was taken from http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/expert/Fairy_Rings.html

Hope this helps!

Gerry

Gerry Walden