Subject: [Leica] M9 - not much more expensive than M8?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 14:57:06 -0400

> Two (or more) points running through this thread.
>
> Photographers want to use their lens' full image circle capability.
> Larger sensors offer more potential image quality.
> Absolutely true.
>
> Clients require 24 x 36 sensors.
> Not very often (in my experience).
>
> The most demanding clients require sensors larger than 24 x 36.
> Also true.
>
> Regards,

One aspect I'm just noticing is that -

there is cropped and there is cropped.

other than the obvious 2x 4/3 format crop which is a different ball game
from APS anything.

APS by any other name....

I'm used to shooting Nikon Dx APS-C which is a 1.5 x crop circle but
Canon and Leica m8 shooters are shooting APS H which is 1.33

This is an interesting illustration
http://digital-photography-school.com/crop-factor-explained

While the yellow line is 1.5 APS-C DX the red line bisects that and full
frame.
And the red line is 1.33 APS H M8 or Canon format.
It looks quite a bit more impressive here.

Maybe I'll get it in a firmware upgrade.

Also notice here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_DX_format

The difference between the Nikon and Canon APS-C formats and how medium
format dwarfs them both.

I'm going to get a cheap used back for my Hassy's and blow all you guys with
your Canon and Nikon super shooter FF X's away.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] M9 - not much more expensive than M8?)