Subject: [Leica] Lament for a dying field
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:46:07 -0400

Even during the glory days of the photo essay, from the late 40's to the
mid 60's, much of what you saw in publications like Life were what we
might call fluff.  Sure there were great journalistic achievements, but
there were also lots of stories about actresses and fashion.  When the
business model that supported those publications went away so did that
particular avenue for photojournalism.

Even that ethic of "objective journalism" only existed from the 30's
until fairly recently.  Before that there was lots of sensational,
fiercely partisan material that was used to sell newspapers.  What
Citizen Kane portrayed was pretty much the norm.

There will always be news and great images are still important.  What
worked in the past won't work now, but life goes on and there are still
opportunities.

Mike D