Subject: [Leica] announcing the "imagestore" list
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:24:10 -0400

> Mark,
>
> It's more like plug and pray when something doesn't work. It may work
> when you first plug your RAID box in but when the RAID box start
> misbehaving and you have a year or 2 of your work on it, what do you
> do? Pray. :) B&H ain't going to help you then. :(
>
> There are a lot of subtleties and trade-offs in how your image storage
> system is built which can make your like easy or hell. With 1TB disks
> in RAID-5 configurations, it is possible that a single disk failure
> will become a permanent failure (due to the amount of time it takes to
> rebuild the array and the probabilities of a soft fault occurring in
> one of the remaining disks).
>
> In large disks, the number of molecules that is used to hold a bit
> (value = 0 or 1) is amazingly small. And correspondingly, the number
> of soft faults is amazingly large.
>
> Regards,
> Spencer

Spenser this is interesting.
Its evident you have forgotten more about computers than I will ever totally
know.
The roles are reversed!
Normally on the LUG where're doing photography talk!
And that I've lived and breathed 24 hours a day for thirty three and a third
years. Its my main thing. What I was listed under in the Yellow pages.
Computers though has become very intertwined in my DNA.
Just look at the magazine section at the Barnes and Noble.
The French and American Photo sets right next to the MacWorld and PC
Magazine.
The Photography and computer sections have merged.
Just like my brain.

This is my brain on photography and computers.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from scheng at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng) ([Leica] announcing the "imagestore" list)