Subject: [Leica] announcing the "imagestore" list
From: scheng at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 11:24:56 -0400

Mark,

It's more like plug and pray when something doesn't work. It may work
when you first plug your RAID box in but when the RAID box start
misbehaving and you have a year or 2 of your work on it, what do you
do? Pray. :) B&H ain't going to help you then. :(

There are a lot of subtleties and trade-offs in how your image storage
system is built which can make your like easy or hell. With 1TB disks
in RAID-5 configurations, it is possible that a single disk failure
will become a permanent failure (due to the amount of time it takes to
rebuild the array and the probabilities of a soft fault occurring in
one of the remaining disks).

In large disks, the number of molecules that is used to hold a bit
(value = 0 or 1) is amazingly small. And correspondingly, the number
of soft faults is amazingly large.

Regards,
Spencer

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] announcing the "imagestore" list)