Subject: [Leica] announcing the "imagestore" list
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 12:56:31 -0700

I have created a mailing list called "imagestore", whose purpose is serious
technical discussions by accomplished experts about the best way to store
digital images.

Our goal is to come up with a couple of system designs (one for
professionals and one for amateurs) and some well-written guidelines for
best practices in how to use them.

Anyone is welcome to join and listen. If you think you can contribute
without babbling, anyone is also welcome to contribute. I expect that there
will be a core group of about half a dozen experienced professional
engineers who get the work done. Since these people all have real jobs and
thus real deadlines, this project isn't going to be able to run on the same
schedule as a normal commercial engineering project.

I would like to set a goal of finishing V1 of the hardware recommendations
and V1 of the procedure recommendations by the end of 2009. I think that is
a realistic goal.

I will manage the process unless someone who is a more experienced
engineering manager than I am or who has more time than I do (I am not
retired) steps forward. No enginering project will succeed without a good
manager, and I'm very happy to relinquish that role to someone who has the
skills and the time and the interest. But if no such person surfaces, you're
stuck with me.