Subject: [Leica] Seagate
From: scheng at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 19:04:37 -0400

Hi Tina,

When disks are powered off, they are quite tolerant of shock because
the disk head is "parked" and the motor is not spinning. Unless your
road is really, really, really bad and you are driving a Landrover or
a truck with no suspension, it shouldn't be a problem to transport
disks.

USB plugs are designed for a fixed number of insertions (3000 comes to
mind but I could be wrong. It has been a few years since I looked at
the spec). I doubt if you can exceed that in a year or 2.

Computers unfortunately are far too complicate to be simple. Apple
comes closer than anyone else but still not that simple. Don't get me
started on badly designed computer interfaces. :)

Do you run backup S/W of some sort? I know nothing about Windows
backup S/W.

My low cost suggestion is to have 3 external disks of equal size. One
external disk is kept permanently at your office and another at your
farm - both are unplugged unless in use. You carry one back and forth.
The one you carry is the one you always copy your data to. You also
has to copy your data to the on-site disks. It's a bit cumbersome
because you have to copy your data 3 times if you are doing this
manually but this will make sure you have an active copy with you and
a local backup so if catastrophic events occur (fire, car crashes).

It is important to buy quality external disks. They should be from
different manufacturers. Note that it is hard to tell what hard disk
is actually in the nicely packaged external disks. I usually buy the
enclosure separately from the hard disk so I KNOW what disks are inside.

I no longer believe in any of the consumer grade disk enclosures. :
( Single point of failure with their control electronics and power
supply.

Regards,
Spencer

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Seagate)