Subject: [Leica] How to make a Full Frame M ... I dunno!
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:09:19 -0700

It's been a  few years, but.....

All IC's are made in flat shapes.  Period.  They are not good at bending,
even if you wanted them to.

The Foveon Chip, as I understand it, is a few microns thick, and  the
different color channels are hidden in the different layers.  The distance
between those layers is also a few microns thick.  IOW, it would not be
probable that the Foveon chip is significantly better than any other chip
made WRT curved fields, or effective vignetting.

Actually, I think Mark Rabiner is correct.....they will eventually fix the
problem of oblique rays by software.  It is easy, cheaper than hardware, and
repeatable.

Then again, it has been a few years....

Frank Filippone
red735i at earthlink.net

I always
thought they could make a sensor that is 'curved' slightly in at the
edges; but what do I know? :-)

A combination of software and better microlenses may do it. Then again
maybe a new sensor technology will come forward. I have often wondered
if the Foveon technology may work better here as well - it's more
'film like' and may not have these issues.