Subject: [Leica] James Whitlow Delano in Burma
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 13:15:38 +0930

Hi Richard,

A good start is an old moderate contrast lens and medium speed B&W
film.  In terms of printing, my guess as a good place to start would
be some of the AGFA MCC that Mirko at Fotoimpex is re-manufacturing,
developed in a mixture of old and new developer (not lith printed,
just slowed with 'old brown').  Print too dark and through one of
those Harrison & Harrison etched glass diffusion filters that gives a
reverse bleed on the blur (i.e. the shadows blur into the highlights).
 Then bleach back.  Polysulfite and selenium tone to the right colour.

Alternately, press the JWD filter in Photoshop ;-)

The look doesn't appeal to me - it gets in the way of seeing what's
there when I look at them, but lots of people like it.  I used to run
a good line in traditional printing that looked like this for wedding
photographers and it was very popular, like most 'tricks'.

Marty