Subject: [Leica] D700 50'cron update
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:53:54 -0400

>>I was looking at KEH, which has almost no lenses at all, and ebay,
which has only a few, and nothing low priced.<<

Good deals come up from time to time. You just need to keep an eye out.
I bought my 50/2 Summicron from KEH. I wasn't really in the market for
one. But the price was too good to pass up. The condition was even
better than advertised.

I really wanted a 50/1.4. The last 50/2 R I had -- which I sold with the
rest of my R system -- was prone to flare. I tested the 50/2 I purchased
from KEH and it wasn't prone. Can't explain why my former one was flare
prone. I thought maybe all 50/2 R's were. I'm glad I got the Summicron.
It's lighter than the Summilux.

My current setup -- D700 with 28/2.8, 50/2 and 90/2.8 R lenses -- is
pretty compact. I find I'm using the 50/2 most of the time. There's no
crop factor, which is nice. I often take just the body and 50.

I also keep a small Kodak neutral gray card in my back pocket or camera
bag. I use that to set the WB. On the D700 I hold the WB button down for
a second until "Pre" blinks on the LCD screen. Then I shoot the card.
That sets a user defined WB (doesn't save a photo of the card). That WB
setting remains the default until I either do it again or I change to a
common setting.

I find that this method results in extremely accurate colors, which is
great since I'm trying to avoid post processing. Probably sounds like
more of a PITA than it is. If I'm feelin' lazy I can use auto WB, but
taking a moment in different lighting is worth it to get very accurate
color. If I want a warming filter there are several ways I can quickly
accomplish that with WB settings. Of course, I can shoot RAW and not
worry about any of this. But right now I'm going for the optimum JPEG.

DSLRs have come a long way in terms of how they handle WB. I always
considered myself a BW person, but that may change!

Good deals, I notice, don't last long on KEH. When I was shopping for a
28 I saw one last about a minute. I snoozed and missed out. I jumped at
the (relatively) inexpensive 50/2 when I saw it.

Dave R

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] D700 50'cron update)