Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Candids from long ago
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:47:37 -0700

Oliver Bryk showed:

I recently discovered a cache of transparencies that I made in Paris in

1982. The scanned results are not as good as I would like (it's my fault,

not the Nikon Scanner's) but I put some of them them up anyway at

 http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OBRYK/album61/ <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Oliver,

You have some very interesting "Paris looking subjects!" Do you think you
look at and react to your photo moments of today in the same fashion you did
27 years ago? Or are you more astute at seeing / clicking almost
simultaneous today than then?

When we come across a bunch of slides or negatives from long ago I'm always
interested in looking at the images to see how I was reacting to subjects
30-40-50 years ago or more. :-) Unfortunately I can't do that any longer as
my 60 years of snapping 280,000 edited images out of however many thousands
were actually exposed on assignments, are now in the National Archives of
Canada's National Photo Collection. Before they were sent off, during a
quiet time I'd venture into an old shoot just to see how I was relating then
to light on subjects, composition and was I aware of shooting from the
shadow side as I'm these days?

Even more interesting is finding a frame or two that was never selected for
printing, with today's reaction being  "what the heck were you looking at
you never selected that! You idiot?" :-) Trust me you don't have to go very
far back to have that kind of reaction during any re-edit! :-)

But really old stuff and you find something? It's like finding a diamond in
the rubbish! :-) It leaves some kind of inside silent comment to yourself,
"Damn, I didn't do too bad way back then!" Followed with an unseen inside
smile and a touch of self appreciation. :-) But you can't blurt that out for
two reasons, one it would make you look stupid on the first edit. Second it
might be taken you were kind of bragging! :-( And one doesn't do that!

So are you better today compared to 27 years ago? :-)

Dr. ted :-)