Subject: [Leica] OT: Eurotrip Question
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:53:11 +0100

Hi Brian,
I had not realised that the US did not use the PIN system yet. We went
away from the signature system here in the UK quite a few years ago,
though there was a rumour of resistance to using the cards with built
in chip for quite a while because it was a French invention, probably
not true.
Actually the last of those countries I visit which allowed getting
cash on my card was the USA (years after most). Germany still does not
accept credit cards most places, though tourist hotels of course do.
Even my cash card is not accepted since it does not have an EC symbol
on it. I have to get cash for everything, non of the local restaurants
take anything else. Even the Leica dealer in Cologne does not take
credit cards so you have to carry lots of cash if you want to buy
anything there. I was told the 500 Euro note was requested by Germany.
Frank