Subject: [Leica] 4/3's lens firmware updates
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 01:33:33 -0400

According to Geoff's report from visiting Leica people in Europe Leica is
pulling back from 4/3's.
But can't pull back from making a 4/3's body it doesn't already make or even
badge;
But it can I guess pull back from the IDEA of coming out with one.
The question to me seems to be will it pull back from making 4/3's glass and
I'd think not. It would certainly continue to do that whatever that might
really mean. It says Leica on all kinds of glass the minute you walk into a
BEST BUY right next to the Joseph Schneider Kreuznach and Carl Phillip
Emanuel Zeiss.
I have a very nice high end label maker and I'm going to try putting German
names with lots of syllables on my household material objects and see if
can't feel more fulfilled.

Leica is a cutting edge modern camera glass company who has never been
afraid of most of the high tech stuff going one in glass design I'd not put
it past them at all to start incorporating a software aspect to their glass
design to keep them competitive in the 4/3 and other format digital glass
world. It would be like saying no to coatings or multi coatings or computer
design. If its par for the course Leica is going to stay in the game.
They're probably doing it as we speak.

Mark William Rabiner