Subject: [Leica] Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 Lens
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto at earthlink.net)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:57:59 -0400

Jim Nichols wrote:

I'm confused by the second photo.  Does the adapter go between the aperture
ring and the front portion of the lens? This photo makes it appear that the
aperture ring is still closest to the camera.
<<<

The 14198 extension tube has an aperture ring that is used instead of the
lens' aperture ring.  The extension tube has a collar at the lens end that
covers the lens' aperture ring; the lens' aperture ring is set to f/22
before connecting the lens and extension tube.

The more recent Macro-Adapter-R (14256? or the ROM version 14299?) does not
have its own aperture ring, using the one on the lens instead.  The 14198
is set up with its own aperture ring so that you can meter at full aperture
on the Leicaflex SL and SL2.  The Macro-Adapter-R in its original form
cannot be used on the Leicaflexes.

The 14198 can only be used with the 60mm Macro lens (with a few exceptions)
while the Macro-Adapter-R can be used with many lenses and meters at full
apereture with any R body.  Since I use both R and Leicaflex bodies, and I
use the extension tube with more than just the 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R, I've
worked out a modification to the 14198 to make it more universal.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Jim Nichols