Subject: [Leica] PB 12" screen
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (rsphoto's email)
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:27:12 -0700

Ypu.

What Larry said.

Do it and don't look back.

We're on our 6th Mac (iMac running 10.5.7) which we upgraded to a year
ago

Can't ever remember the previous Mac any more.

Running about 3,400 image Full JPG with both iPhoto and Aperture - not
one hiccup.

A brand new, Solid Machined Aluminum Mac laptop is high on my Lust List.

Go for it, Rabs.

Bob

On Jul 20, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

On Jul 19, 2009, at 10:29 PM, lug-request at leica-users.org wrote:

> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> I think I'll have a large order of prognosis negative!
>
> My 12" Powerbook G4 monitor darks are darkening...

The jewel like PB G4 12" laptop is an unusually sturdy computer and
generally gives little trouble. If a visit to the Genius Bar doesn't
produce results, I suggest that you take it to TekServe (www.tekserve.com
) on 23rd. St in NYC or send it to TechRestore (www.techrestore.com).
The latter firm specializes in screen repair. Download and save all
your important files first. However if the repair estimate for either
firm is over $500, I would simply spring for a new MacBook Pro 13"
model. The price should be about $1100, less if you opt for a
refurbished model from the Apple store. The PB 12" has been my
favorite laptop for years but it is reaching the end of its life. The
newest operating system OS 10.6 will not run on li. It only supports
1.25 GB of ram and the maximum internal disc size is 250 GB. It seems
to be happiest running OS 10.4.11. Since you probably use your 12" PB
hard, write it off as a business expense and deduct the cost of a new
laptop from your taxes. Remember a new MacBook Pro is only half the
cost of a Leica lens.

Larry Z