Subject: [Leica] Heartattack and Mine (photo)
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 01:50:14 +0100

"Jerry Lehrer" <glehrer at san.rr.com> wrote
> This is not in direct response to your message, but somehow I lost the
> photo of the "Bread and Butter Pudding"  It was beautiful.
> My daughter said it was "TEPMPTACIOUS".  Really what is it? Is it what the
> French call Pain Perdue?  Or is it Eggy Bread
> as the Lancashire chefs call it.

No Jerry, it's Bread & Butter Pudding - eggy bread or pain perdu is
something quite different.

First of all the essential ingredient is stale bread - 8 thinly sliced
pieces - or use an old sliced pan. Then get your butter. I use Irish butter
made from full cream Irish milk. This of course is coaxed by comely Irish
maidens from the teats of of happy Irish cattle who've enjoyed a bucolic
paradise of plenty in Ireland's Golden Vale. Spread this unctuous delight
liberally over the bread and cut the slices in half, leaving the crusts on.
Some cookery harridans say you should cut the crusts off, but they are, of
course, deluded.

Butter a two pint dish - some recommend enamel and some go for pottery -
before layering out three layers (that can depend on the shape of the dish
used) of buttered bread slices with 1 oz candied peel (lemon or orange or
both - make sure it's finely chopped) and 2 oz of currants spread evenly
between the layers.

Next get a half pint of milk - pasturised! - and 1/8 pint of double cream
and mix in a large jug adding the grated rind of half a lemon and 2 oz of
caster sugar. Crack three eggs into a bowl and whisk them together before
mixing them in with the milk mixture. When mixed, pour the blend over the
bread in the dish ensuring that each slice has got a coating of the mixture.
Sprinkle the top with nutmeg and place in an oven preheated to 350f (200c).
Let it cook for thirty to forty minutes and serve it warm with a little
whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

You can even try a glass of Sauterne, Barsac, or a six puttonyo Tokay with
this as it doesn't fight the wine. Enjoy!

Douglas
_________
Douglas Barry
Bray, Co. Wicklow