Subject: [Leica] First wedding
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 06:48:43 -0700

Michiel Fokkema showed:

>>> Hi,

> Not really my first wedding, but my first paid wedding.

> A few pictures of a  very enjoyable day with a lovely couple.

> http://michielfokkema.wordpress.<<<<<

Hi Michiel,

Very well done through out. Interesting depth of focus and sharpness
accentuating the smaller elements. There are a couple of candids I
particularly like.

Weddings through all my years were and are the biggest pain in the butt you
could imagine. I began a charging method of doubling the price every time I
was asked just to deter people from asking..

In other words, back in the early '50s I charged $25.00 dollars for a white
album with 12 B&W prints. Yep hard to believe but that was usually a friend
and what everyone figured was not bad for a beginner and some pros.
Eventually I got away from them until I was hired as a staff photog and
found myself every Saturday thrust into this horrid assignment of hell!
Usually 2 a day!

When I began my own business I swore I'd never do another wedding, OOPS!
When I finally relented my deal was..Money talks! It would be $1000. which
they would pay me at the end of day in cash!! And I'd give all the B&W film
to the best man with instructions where to have it printed and get the
album. I had nothing to do with it period. Didn't phase them, people still
kept coming a $1000 a pop and I did no processing or printing.

Too many and it became a big pain in the butt again, so I upped the price to
$2000 with me still turning over the film at the end of the day to the best
man and have a nice honeymoon. Damned if they still didn't keep coming. So I
doubled it to $4000 and that deterred many, but we all know when people are
so romantically inclined to marry, money doesn't count. :-)  Finally I just
cut it off as I found them more stressful than covering a war scene!
Mother-in-laws and twitchy brides AAAAAAAAAAAAahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! :-)

However me old son you've done an excellent covered with interesting images.

Cheers,

ted

Replies: Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] First wedding)
Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] First wedding)