Subject: [Leica] What is Rosetta
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 19:54:51 -0400

On Tue 14, Jul'09 at  4:36 PM -0700, H. Ball Arche wrote:
> The scan is going to give you 256 slices of greyscale, but if 15 slices at
> the black end are empty, and 21 at the highlight end, then instead of
> getting 256 slices of grey you're only getting 220. You're giving up
> range.
> You want to spread that graph end to end, get your full 256.

I make may scans relatively flat in Vuescan.  I might miss a couple levels
in there by not pinning the histogram on either side, but so be it.  It's a
lot faster then trying to tweak it just right with the software.

The key of course is that I scan in 16 bit.  Well, 14 bit actually, but that
gives you 16384 levels instead of 256, so I'm not worried if I lose a
couple.

Message from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] What is Rosetta)