Subject: [Leica] Repairs by DAG
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:31:35 -0500

Mark,

I agree.  One of my best friends here uses 8x10 cameras (he took one to
Paris last summer for street photography), and prints only
platinum/palladium.  His equipment and production costs make digital look
pretty reasonable.  For the last 10 years or so that I had my darkroom open,
I printed only pt/pd also.  And, my wife has a relative who is a prof at
Harvard who is doing well with exhibits of his daguerreotypes.  Until I
finally went over to the dark side, I went to the B&S "platypus" parties in
Santa Fe in the summer.  Photographers from all over the world came to show
prints in various "alternative" processes.  And no doubt still do.

So, yes, the alternative prints will probably, at some time, include silver
darkroom prints from film negatives.  And someone will be making the film
and paper.  Maybe the awful RC paper will finally be gone by then.  Did you
see the sci-fi film "The Minority Report"?  It wasn't very good, but there
was a scene (in the future) where Tom Cruise's ex was a photographer, with a
chemical darkroom and enlarger.

Myself, I don't miss any of it and want the next big thing, preferably with
instant gratification.

Ken