Subject: [Leica] OT: buying a Windows laptop for my son
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 05:06:30 -0400

Nathan-

I too found myself buying a cheap Acer for a work project the other
week (a quarter-century later and I'm still firmly in the Mac camp!).
The cheap Acer had Vista pre-installed, and one had to backup to one's
own DVD media. I growled, bit my tongue, and did back up to blank DVDs
from my stash.

It boils down to price point, paying a fraction of the MacBook price.
Out goes distribution media and onshore support.  I'm not going to
bring up the First World-Third World thing other than to mention I
haven't received a reply to my tech support email from "Frank" or
'Bob" in Bangalore or Hyderabad.  Apparently, one factory in the PRC
makes these cheap laptops sold under a few labels.  FWIW, MacBooks are
also made in the PRC, albeit labeled as 'Designed in California' on
the classier packaging, media, and documentation.

One of those 'You get what you pay for' things.  BTW, anyone have
suggestions for which Linux flavor is best for AMD based laptops? I
have learned since my last paid Windows 'experience' that Vista has me
digging for my well-perforated Bill Gates voodoo doll...now that
Ballmer is basically running things in Redmond, anyone know where I
can find a bald Ballmer voodoo doll?

I am in the saloon trade. My experience with the Acer laptop made it
all the more difficult to take the easy route and reach back for the
solace of the Grand Marnier bottle. Gaming (like Point-of-Sale
applications) is still predominently a Windows thing, I've realized.
So are almost all the viruses, malware, spyware....but I digress.

Look at the bright side, Nathan. The money left over from your son's
Acer means more you can send to Solms, instead of Cupertino.

Charlie

"Hasta la Vista, Baby."
   - The Governator of Caalifornia