Subject: [Leica] M8 + Coded Lens = Nada in LR?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:02:04 -0700

MARK the RABINER OFFERED: :-)

Subject: Re: [Leica] M8 + Coded Lens = Nada in LR?

>> I think digital teaches you photography much quicker because of these
issues

and the instant feed back you get like shooting a Polaroid every time.

If I'd started out shooting digital instead of 30 years of floundering with

film I feel like I'd be a frigging millionaire by now I'd be such a good

photographer.<<<

Hi Mark,

A couple of good points.

There isn't any question digital for instant points of learning and
improving ones ability far out weigh film.  Many on list have offered, shoot
and shoot and shoot a hundred times more and you will learn and improve from
the experience. Or one should! And many on list learned in this fashion with
film and still are today with digital. But in the good old days it cost a
fortune buying film, even in 100 ft. rolls and bulk loading cassettes. No
question, a system of deterrence if one were not earning some dollars from
their hobby to pay for film, processing and paper.

Today there are several good, bad and ugly aspects to digital. One the shoot
factor is a no brainer, as Kyle Cassidy offers, "Keep pressing that button!"
It basically costs nothing to shoot a gazillion frames and one would hope
learning all the time. Improvement of ones photographic ability should be
quicker, shoot, look, see mistake or perfect and shoot again without thought
of "gee I'm almost out of film!"   Digital a tremendous improvement for all.

That bad part of digital is????????? So many people click away by the
thousands and do not learn one iota of photographic ability or intelligence.
You see this every day. "they stand there, hold up camera at arms length.
click/flash and they are.. "photographers!"  Why? "Well gee whiz look at the
screen and see how fantastic it is!"  They are merely electronic gizmo
operators without any idea about the light, is it a real photo moment or
merely an electronic exposure for bin 13?

What I have been hearing and seeing while speaking to various photo groups,
both amateurs and pros. The lack of learning about "PHOTOGRAPHY" and what
makes a good photographic moment and why. Nearly every workshop, big or
small is about the "techie things on making your digital camera do better
things!" Creating a field of button pushers and not photographers. But by
goodness many will respond with. "My digital camera is a super camera you
should see the great pictures it takes!" You look and the light is the wrong
direction, the high point of the moment is missed or it's so bad you can't
believe they want to show it to the devil himself.

Now fair enough, they are not all like this, but their numbers are becoming
greater because fewer are becoming involved with "what makes a photograph
work and why." But by God they sure know what the EXIF is, a note book! But
it doesn't tell you the sun should've been over your shoulder or sideways or
any actual "how to make a better photographic moment!"

So in the "olden days" when others were making notes about settings, lenses
and whatever else they were logging, I was busy taking pictures and learning
real time what made better pictures, because I was shooting and not wasting
time writing about it. I often wondered if the note keepers actually went
back and re-set their cameras to the same settings expecting to get the same
picture ?

However, digital? I love it and wouldn't go back to film unless I were paid
to do so! And somebody else did all the processing!

Dr. ted. :-)