Subject: [Leica] Why Leicas with Nazi symbols should be trashed, not collected
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 22:44:41 +0100

Nathan,

I know what you mean. I wouldn't buy a swastika-bearing anything, for
reasons we
have discussed. Let alone anything even purporting to have SS origins.
However
would you also decline to buy any Leica produced during the war? After all
there
were - as I understand it - Leicas that were not military issue produced
during
the period. Some of those too must have taken images of things which we would
rather not discuss...and then there are all those Leicas that arrived in the
hands of the occupying forces after the war, many of which had wartime
origins.
Many pre-war lenses may have had a similar history.

Where would you draw the line? It's difficult.

As ever,

Peter