Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 30/06/2009: souvenirs from Poland
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:49:12 +0200

With these, you will notice the difference, Jayanand. I understand
your statement with respect to white vodkas which are basically
distilled grain and not much more. The producers would argue that the
quality of the grain and water makes a difference, and I am sure it
does, but it is a subtle one.

However, today in Poland (end elsewhere, but especially in Poland)
there are many vodkas flavoured with various herbs, berries and so on.
Of the two in this picture, Zubr?wka is flavoured with a special grass
from the forest in Eastern Poland (Europe's sole remaining forest in
original condition). This grass is eaten by the European Bison (which
is extinct everywhere else in Europe); the Polish word for this beast
is "zubr", hence the name of the vodka. The grass does give it a very
distinctive flavour. The other one is called Gorzka Zo??dkowa,
meaning literally "bitter for your stomach". It is flavoured with
various bitter herbs and spices and is allegedly good for the
digestion. I have no idea of that last effects, but it tastes good :-)

And if you ever come to visit, I can treat you to homemade lemon
vodka. The production cycle is as follows: my sister from Poland comes
to visit, takes back a bag of lemons from the tree in our garden, buys
96% alcohol in the liquor shop back in Poland, slices the lemons, puts
them in the alcohol, performs some other black magic and finally adds
water to bring the strength down to 50% or so. This type of home
production is very popular, which is why all Polish shops sell the 96%
alcohol.

Cheers :-)

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman