Subject: [Leica] IMG: Berliner Mauer und Jüdisches Museum
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:42:40 +1000

Jim, those Berliners take their architecture VERY seriously and it seems
every patch of grass or space has statues and memorials too. An amazing
place.
Given the obvious destruction by 1945 then the legacy of the wall,
redevelopment and a very strong economy have made for unique opportunities
for them too. Dresden and Frankfurt have some similar circumstance yet have
been reborn in completely differnt ways. I have to say that Frankfurt is a
good place for an airport but lacks the soul and vibrancy of Berlin. A city
of bankers (some pics to follow).
Dresden at least the CBD, is essentially some of the old stone and a LOT of
new stone painstakingly reassembled into the original old buildings. Very
different. But then I think some 80% of that city was levelled and scorched.

--

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] IMG: Berliner Mauer und Jüdisches Museum)
Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Berliner Mauer und Jüdisches Museum)