Subject: [Leica] FS: All of my R gear (sadly!)
From: dpfreedman at gmail.com (David Freedman)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:59:16 -0400

Of course you may ask, Richard.  It is now apparent that there will be
no R10 or equivalent D-SLR solution produced by Leica.  The official
end of the "R" line of lenses some months back made the death of the
PROMISED R10 inevitable. The recent comments by Stefan Daniel merely
make it official:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/89060-hessenpark-news-official-no-r10-no.html

At this point, I do not believe Leica deserves my business or
continued loyalty regardless of what they bring to market. Either they
have been dishonest with the very constituency they need to keep them
afloat or (more likely) the revolving door management of the company
over the past several years has left them without a clue as to what
their long term (or even short term) strategy should be. To put all
their corporate eggs in the S2 basket as they are apparently doing
seems tantamount to putting a gun to their temple.

The bottom line, Richard, is that there is currently no viable digital
platform upon which I can utilize my collection of Leica glass nor
will there be one within a reasonable time horizon if ever. Stop down
shooting on Canon bodies is not, in my opinion viable in 2009. In any
case, the lenses I'd most want to use do not clear the Canon's reflex
mirror. I am not returning to film for the sake of using my Leica
glass.

There was a time when the Leica lenses offered optical quality not
available from other makers. But that was then and this is now. My
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 200mm f/2, 200-400mm f/4, etc. are
all stunningly good. I no longer feel I'm giving up image quality if I
use anything other than Leica.  No question about whose build quality
is superior but the build quality of Nikon and Canon lenses (at least
their pro lenses) is more than good enough.

You were wise to abandon ship when you did.  It gets harder with every
passing day to find someone interested in the "R" system.  It is to
photography what Latin is to languages. I'll miss the "feel" of the
Leica lenses and cameras but I'll get over it.  Leica as a company
alienated my affections long ago.

Best regards,

Dave F.