Subject: [Leica] Viet nam 1968! :-)
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:13:11 -0400

George! Your grandfather and my great grandfather may have been on the same
boat! :-) In fact...when I was in college in the mid-late 60s I had what I
thought was a great idea for a book. It was going to be called "We Are Our
Grandfathers' Children," and it was going to be an oral history focusing on
the political connections between Jewish anti-war, SDS, campus radicals and
their grandfathers - and mothers - many of whom were draft-avoiders from
Czarist Russia and other parts of Eastern Europe, whose politics were way to
the left of center. The parents of the kids, on the other hand, were very
often relatively conservative, staid suburbanites. Unfortunately I decided
that no one would publish a book by someone just out of college - this was
quite a while ago when there were still standards - and in the intervening
years all the grandfathers have died.