Subject: [Leica] Viet nam 1968! :-)
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:55:40 -0500

Dear Ted,

I have no idea who or what "created a situation"
however, I recommend that you apply your KISS principle liberally.
As a 40 year old father and professional photographer
you chose life and family over the insanity of war and violence.

KISS - NO REGRETS - YOUR FAMILY
AND THE LARGER WORLD
HAVE BENEFITTED FROM YOUR LONG CAREER.

Had you called me in 1968
I'd have counseled you not go to Nam;
just as I did hundreds of young men during '67, 8 and 9.
As an active member of The Milwaukee Organizing Committee
we counseled young men on how to:
get to Canada,
apply for conscientious objector status,
refuse induction and go to jail,
or achieve various other draft deferments;
anything to stop that damn war machine from grinding us up.

My own story includes filing as a conscientious objector;
defending that claim through several appeals;
ultimately showing up at the induction center as a 1A
and fully ready to refuse and go to jail;
if my "insanity" did not provide an "unfit" classification.
Fortunately - they soon realized that I was "unfit" for their war
machine.

Many years ago I filed a Freedom of Information Act request for my
FBI file.
Very interesting piece of history - especially the heavily blacked
out portions.
A strange, graphic document.

We all have stories.
We should not regret our stories.
We should, at best, tell our stories well enough for others to
benefit from their telling.

Fond regards,
George

george at imagist.com