Subject: [Leica] LEICA SEMINAR 2009 - John Newell
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:13:47 -0700

Hi John,

Thank you good sir. You might find this a tad interesting 2nd part of Walter
and Dr. ted! :-)

Munich Summer Olympics 1972. I'm in the moat of the Main Athletics stadium
using an 800mm Leica lens. Nope not on tripod, no tripods allowed. So there
I was in the moat which made me about eye level with the playing field using
the 800mm as it was lying on the ground.  When a chap came up to me and
asked if I had a permit to use such a weapon? He was very serious in tone of
voice, with a very heavy German accent. which I found out shortly he put it
on thicker than real! :-)   I figured a dumb ass security guy who didn't
know a lens from a rocket launcher! :-)

Then he said "Hey come on Ted Grant I'm Walter Heun from Leica and how the
hell is that lens working?" Then he began laughing!  I of course had no
reason not to join him and we became friends for life! When he had to leave
Leica USA due to serious illness he was partially responsible for me to be
asked by leica if I would be the lead lecturer at the Leica Seminar on Cape
Cod.  And that's sort of how it happened how I replaced Walter! Along with
Brian Bell who was the Leica USA national sales manager who also vouched for
me as a lecturer and speaker!

Trust me, if you come along to the seminar I can assure you , you will not
be disappointed!

Cheers,

Dr. ted   :-)