Subject: [Leica] Desert sand - sunny 16?
From: chs2018 at med.cornell.edu (Chris Saganich)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:33:58 -0400

In my experience this hasen't worked for me with triX.  With slower films
like 100 - 25 ASA this works fine..not with TriX for some reason.  That red
filter is key in a situation like that and is the only reason I ever carry
one around one.

At 05:42 PM 6/16/2009, you wrote:
>Dante -
>
>This is like photographing snow.  If you want it to stay white (or the
>sand to stay bright) you have to open up more than the meter is
>suggesting.  The meter is telling you how to make everything zone 5
>grey.  I would use the meter reading and open up at least one stop, but I
>would also bracket like crazy.  On the other hand, you could shoot digital
>;-)
>
>Have fun.
>
>Tina
>

>At 04:00 PM 6/16/2009, you wrote:
>
>>Ok - hit a rough patch in Egypt today: at Saqqara hit subjects that were
>>low contrast and high brightness (hazy blue sky against sand and
>>limestone pyramids).
>>
>>Shooting Tri-X and a yellow cut filter, should I trust the meter (which
>>is reading for what looks a stop underexposed - 1/700 and f/16) and N+1
>>it to enhance the highlight contrast - or believe that the sand is so
>>bright?  Under normal conditions with a clear blue sky and grey subjects,
>>I have not needed to apply a filter factor given my developing time (on
>>the heavy side of N development).
>>
>>But here, I don't have the film to bracket very much, and I am a little
>>worried about shouldering.  Best guess, Mr. Spock?  Hopefully Luxor will
>>have clearer skies...
>>
>>Dante
>>
>>NO ARCHIVE

Chris Saganich MS, CPH
Senior Physicist, Office of Health Physics
New York Presbyterian Hospital
chs2018 at med.cornell.edu
http://intranet.med.cornell.edu/research/health_phys/
Ph. 212.746.6964