Subject: [Leica] Desert sand - sunny 16?
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:23:53 -0700

>Ok - hit a rough patch in Egypt today: at Saqqara hit subjects that
>were low contrast and high brightness (hazy blue sky against sand
>and limestone pyramids).
>
>Shooting Tri-X and a yellow cut filter, should I trust the meter
>(which is reading for what looks a stop underexposed - 1/700 and
>f/16) and N+1 it to enhance the highlight contrast - or believe that
>the sand is so bright?  Under normal conditions with a clear blue
>sky and grey subjects, I have not needed to apply a filter factor
>given my developing time (on the heavy side of N development).
>
>But here, I don't have the film to bracket very much, and I am a
>little worried about shouldering.  Best guess, Mr. Spock?  Hopefully
>Luxor will have clearer skies...
>
>Dante

It's bright. Trust the meter, but consider that you want the sand
fairly light. When we were there a couple of years ago, it was the
same. You should probably be shooting with the sunny 22 rule.

Luxor will be better. And hotter :-).

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design