Subject: [Leica] videos and still frames
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:40:13 -0400

Although my knowledge is not encyclopedic and others may exist, the
only two digital SLRs that I know about that are capable of recording
video are the Nikon D90 (which I own) and the Canon 5D MkII (which I'd
like to own). Prices are under $1K and $3K, respectively, for the
bodies. The video from the D90 frankly sucks, even in comparison to
video from my Canon G9 or Panasonic Lumix LX1 P&S digicams, and this
is both distressing and incomprehensible to me. All the reports I've
seen on the quality of the 5D II's video (full-spec HD) are glowing,
as are the clips I've seen (cf. Canon's website and Vincent LaForet's
as well)?thus my plan to switch to Canon unless Nikon steps up real
soon now. The Panasonic G1H is also getting good reviews, although
it's not literally an SLR.

What camera does your friend's father use now that he wants to upgrade
from, and what aspect of its performance does he want to be "nicer"?
If it's the D90, he can certainly do better in terms of video. If it's
the 5D II, he can't. Are you sure he's using an SLR?

?howard