Subject: [Leica] Cuba
From: johnbeeching at gmail.com (John Beeching)
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:46:35 +0100

Dear Clive,

I have been to Cuba on several occasions; first in the mid '70s with a group
of Mexican students and more frequently in the last ten years.  Of course it
has changed in that time, the Soviet Union is no longer there, but it does
seems to be stuck in a bit of a time warp.  Physically it has a decaying
charm that reminds me of Spain of many years ago, while the people tend to
have an old fashioned courtesy that seems to have vanished elsewhere.  I
like Cuba and the Cubans and have made some good friendships with scientists
with whom I collaborate and with their families; they tend to be somewhat
serious whilst at the same time having a great sense of fun!  Of course it
helps to speak Spanish.  Naturally, not everything is ideal but they have
achieved much despite their history and their neighbours; one hopes that
when things do change, as they must, that the change is for the better and
that the baby is not thrown out with the bathwater.

Your plan of going with a group is a good one as you should have an
opportunity to see a range of things rather  than be stuck in a tourist
ghetto.  However, if you do get a chance do wander off the beaten track and
try to get to know people.  It is a very safe country.

John