Subject: [Leica] OT, but joyful: saloon keeper's daughter graduates
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 13:17:02 -0700

Brian Reid offered.

Hi Elizabeth,

CONRATULATIONS YOUNG LADY!

With parents like you have I'm sure you'll not be the new kid on the block,
but you'll be the best and brightest!! Looks like you're off to a good
start! Good luck.

OH and Brian? . maybe next year try to get there really early and right up
front. :-) Nothing like shooting your own pictures of such a wonderful
moment.

ted

Day before yesterday I was part of an intimate little crowd of 11,000 people
who sat in plastic folding chairs under constant threat of rain next to the
Charles River while about 2000 people were conferred with degrees at MIT. My
youngest child, Elizabeth, who is a member of the LUG but has been too busy
being a student to participate much this year, was awarded a Master's in
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Her cap was attached to her
hair with so many bobby pins that she needed her

sister's help to get it off her head afterwards. (Last year at her BS
graduation, the wind blew her cap off just as the official photographer
snapped the official picture).

I only got to the ceremony 2 hours before it started, so I was seated so far
back that I couldn't see the stage. I did manage to get off a photograph of
the Jumbotron video screen while it was showing a smiling Elizabeth, but I
forgot that Jumbotrons are interlaced and set the shutter speed too high, so
the picture is a little odd. But she showed me the diploma afterwards as
proof that she really was up there when they called out her name.

Elizabeth's sister (Vanessa) and I did some stopwatch work during the
graduation ceremony, and we determined that they were reading the names of,
and finding diplomas for, and sending across the stage, 32 graduates per
minute. If you are not astonished by that number, why don't you find a list
of 32 names from 20 countries and try reading them out loud and see how long
it takes you.  At least 2 of the test names must have more than 12
syllables. You get no credit unless you pronounce them all

correctly. Rehearsing is permitted.

I didn't get any pictures because I didn't really want pictures of the backs
of the heads of other students' parents, and I was there to jubilate and not
to photograph. So I bought package C-7 from the official event photographer,
which will include a TIFF with right to print for family use.

She's not flying home with me today because she's got a wedding to shoot
next weekend here in Boston; then she'll fly home, soon to start an actual
job in Cupertino, California.

Thanks for listening. I'll probably stop smiling in a few weeks, but next
year Elizabeth's sister will graduate from law school and I get to do it
again.