Subject: [Leica] Why sharpen?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 08:55:42 -0700

>I'm all for nostalgia, but I would rather be staked out in a bed of
starving

>fire (far ants for those in the south) ants than go back to the
darkroom.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Tina responded:

>>AMEN!!!<<<<<<<,,

As much as I've had good, bad, funny and nostalgic moments in the darkroom,
I truly would not want to return to that system. I liked the peaceful quiet
time on my own doing my thing in the darkness and yellow-orange light. The
only sounds were running water and ticking of the timers. Beautiful,
sometimes even at it's most hectic against press run deadline ticking away
it was without question mine!

My grandson casually mentioned something about. "if I shoot some B&W film do
you think you could show me how to soup it and make prints?" The obvious
answer is.. "You bet and well even set the trays to make real wet tray
prints!" Even though my inner gut feelings were, "Damn and set up the trays
and print washer, dryer, mix chemicals
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! :-(

Bottom line? Hey he's my grandson who's becoming so keen about photography I
wouldn't deny him one second of learning given his deep committed interest.

But then let him see and feel the experience leaving him to make his own
choice.. Darkroom? Or Lightroom? One should never deny another experience of
our lives in shooting or darkroom when young, or even old folks , who wish
to learn what so many of us have for so many years had the pleasure of
doing.

Cheers,

ted

PS: No I'd never want to return to the darkroom! :-)