Subject: [Leica] French Café Women
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 01:10:40 +0100

"Kevin Argue" <kargue at sympatico.ca>

Just got caught up on looking at photos. Nice photo
with the Rolleilex except
for one thing, McDonald's in the background. What a way to ruin a
french slice of daily
knife.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/cafewomen_bord06.jpg.html
<<<<<<<

Thanks Kevin, I'd like to say that was an ironic comment on the
pervasiveness of US cultural imperialism in the form of the McDonalds arches
undermining European architecture - and in particular the dix huitieme
siecle architecture of Bordeaux, while, at the same time, sabotaging
European culinary identities and subsuming them under a monolith of burger
blandness, but that would be wrong. I happened to have the camera on the
table, saw the elegant women, and took the moment of discussion in the
moment!

Of course, while I might inadvertantly include a McDonalds in a photograph,
I would not visit a McDonalds in Bordeaux or anywhere in France as the
French culinary tradition has given the French - and those lucky enough to
visit there - a dazzling array of good restaurants, some of which I have
been eating in over the last few days in Saint-Emilion near Bordeaux. I
strongly recommend Hostellerie de Plaisance with its wonderful chef Philippe
Etchebest. Dined there yesterday (Sat) and it was glorious twist and turn
through some sensational flavours over nine courses. His Mandarine en trompe
l'oeil, salade d'agrumes ?pic?e, creme brul?e citron was one of those oh ah
moments. The man's a culinary genius. Mind you I was in a good mood after
visits to Ch. Figeac, Pavie, Cheval Blanc, and La Conseillante over the
previous days, so my judgement may have been impaired...... :-)

Back in Ireland for the past few hours, and going on the way we ate in
France, I'll be able to live on my hump for a few weeks. I'll probably have
to in order to bring my cholesterol levels down!

Douglas
_________
Douglas Barry
Bray, Co. Wicklow