Subject: [Leica] OT: D3x vs. 'Blad CFV 16MP full sized samples
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 08:53:43 -0500

Not sure what you mean by "slow speed ISO neg"
(I'm not speaking of drum scans of kodachrome 25)

And yes you can make a drum scan at monstrously huge resolutions.
I did not do that. The scans were made for 300 ppi x 13 in x 19 in
Plenty high enough to get to the grain structure of the film.

I specifically compared 160 through 640 ISO negs to sensor images.
Same lens, same subject, same light.

The drum scan of 160 film provides sharp grain structure
which becomes evident in magnification
before pixels become evident at similar magnification.

Aesthetically some may prefer the film look.
But from a purely technical perspective
the digital image appears as
a much slower (or larger) grain-less scanned film
than the equivalent 160 through 640 35 mm film.

I did not compare 30x40 prints.
I compared on screen and 11x14 prints.

Regards,
George Lottermoser