Subject: [Leica] OT: D3x vs. 'Blad CFV 16MP full sized samples
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 19:56:34 -0400 (EDT)

Mark Rabiner

>But in hindsight always a nice thing it may have been smarter to try this
>naked sensor thing out on one of Panasonic Leicas first. And see what hell
>all breaks loose in practice amongst the consumers.

Wrong market.  A better market for a camera without an AA filter is one
optimized for a careful RAW workflow, where image quality is a primary goal.
 The PanaLeica buyer's goal is more likely to be a good-quality picture
right out of the camera, no mucking about on the computer.

>... but resolution is completely dependent on magnification.

That's one factor.  The information density in the raw file is another.  The
AA filter weakens the information density so it takes a larger file with
more pixels to equal the information in the file from the AA-less camera.

>Do Tree's Moir??
>Somewhere in the rain forest of South America I bet there's one that does.
>Birds do it bee's do it....

Mammals don't, some birds do (especially quail).

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT: D3x vs. 'Blad CFV 16MP full sized samples)