Subject: [Leica] More Rathambhore- Tigers in the Heat! Well done.
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 07:27:25 +0530

Edward,
I meant 100mm on the 70-200 zoom. I need autofocus, so I use only
Nikon equipment. My equipment for wildlife is simple - two D300 bodies
with three fast AFS lenses - 17-55DX f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8 and 200-400VR
f4. The last two are always mounted and ready during the forays into
the jungles. In addition I carry the Nikon 1.4 and 1.7 Teleconverters,
a SB900 flash, and a flash extender. You can check the exif data which
is available - just click the camera symbol above the photo.

She must have been 15 ft away, and I was in a open jeep. I have been
much closer, and I have no fear at all of these magnificent beasts. As
long as you use common sense, and don't behave like an idiot, you are
quite safe. This cub snarled because she lost her mother about 6 weeks
ago in a fight with a male tiger, so she must have been quite
insecure. She has a male sibling, who was sitting 200 metres away, and
both of them seem to have made it so far, I am keeping my fingers
crossed that they survive. They are just short of full grown, so the
chances are reasonably bright that they will make it.

There are tigers outside parks, but it is very difficult to see them.
You must remember that tigers live in dense jungle, and not open
grassland, and are solitary creatures, which makes seeing them even in
parks a bit of a lottery. I have been lucky recently, but I have done
numerous trips without seeing one. It really is a bonus. Tigers
numbers are headed downward, mainly due to poaching for the Chinese
market (what else?) - having made the South China sub species extinct,
they are now trying their best to exterminate them worldwide. In my
view, unless something is done fast, especially in meaningful
protection and  maintaining migratory corridors between concentrations
of tigers for genetic diversity, we are doomed to see them only in
heavily fortified parks within 10-15 years. The census done last year
showed only 1400 left in the wild. Indian wildlife is truly
spectacular in its diversity, but it requires time and patience to
enjoy, mainly because of the nature of the habitat, and consequent
solitary/small herd nature of the animals.

Cheers
Jayanand