Subject: [Leica] Separation Question
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 13:49:12 -0400

I sold an 2,8/90mm Elmarit 1693447 on that 'other' auction site
recently to someone in the UAE with a Hong Kong domain address.
First, the package comes back returned to sender, then I resent it,
including a Leitz UVa filter and the offer to refund shipping as
compensation for the delayed shipping time.  The buyer receives the
item and files a PayPal claim stating that there is separation in the
lens.  I didn't notice any fault when shipped. I had the lens insured
by the post office. The buyer wants to just return the lens for
refund when I told him I would be filing a postal insurance claim. He
stated that the separation was ten years old. I'm no lens expert by
any stretch, but I am asking if mishandling in shipment could be
cause the alleged fault.  I'm not trying to shortchange a buyer, but
if the damage could be caused in shipping, I'd much rather claim on
the insurance. There is a language difference, which I am not
complaining about, but I want to make things right, even if the
listing stated no returns, while not trying to lose my shirt.

Advice appreciated.

Charlie