Subject: [Leica] IMGS: Boring Lens Tests
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 12:19:45 -0700

Ming:  A couple of weeks ago, I posted about the differences between the
35/1.2 Nokton and the 35/1.4 Summilux ASPH.  That post is here, and has
some sample pictures from both lenses:
<http://leica-users.org/v38/msg22479.html>

If I could have only one 35mm lens (with the M8), it would be the 35/1.4
Summilux ASPH.  The focus shift issues are real, but they are
manageable.  And the results are so good that it's worth remembering to
focus on the closest thing you want "in the zone" at f/2.8 - 5.6.

In your situation, since you already have the 35/2 Summicron ASPH, the
Nokton might make a perfect additional lens for shooting in low
light.  Nathan just made a similar decision--he had a 35 Summarit, and now
supplements it with the Nokton. Personally, I would not use the Nokton as
my *only* 35mm lens (although I must say, Ric Carter does beautifully with
it outdoors).

I use a 1980s 35 Summicron v. IV outdoors.  Indoors, I will sometimes use
the Nokton, and sometimes the Summilux, depending on the light levels I
anticipate, the character of what I'm going to shoot, and whether or not I
will anger women with the Summilux by emphasizing too many pores and
wrinkles.  :-)

It's all Tina's fault.  I already had a Summilux, and a used Nokton became
available.  I asked Tina which lens she preferred, and she said "both,"
because of the different character of each.  She was right, but it cost me
a few quid."  :-)

--Peter

Replies: Reply from drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers) ([Leica] IMGS: Boring Lens Tests)