Subject: [Leica] 90 APO Asph on M8 RE: Geoff's photos with 75 f2
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 11:53:04 +1000

Hi Scott. Thanks for taking a look and I'm glad you liked them.
When you shoot Raw files (M8 DNGs in my case) the colour space set in your
camera has no effect on your files. Their is no colour space (or white
balance) actually set. When you convert your Raw files the convertor sets
the colour space in the file outputted as another format, for example PSD or
TIFF. Most digital SLRs or the M8 allow you to specify the colour space but
that is applied to JPG output, not the Raw files.

The most popular colour space generally is Adobe RGb. As you noted sRGB is
the standard for web images.

Basically the ideal situation is to keep your files in as large a colour
space as you can (I use ProPhotoRGB) (and in 16 bit) and only covert copies
to the smaller spaces for specific purposes (sRGB for web, Adobe RGB is
common for inkjet printing). The M8 for example and I'm sure some other
cameras, is capable of recording a wider gamut than even Adobe RGB. You can
test for yourself by looking at which saturated colurs like reds and yellows
are clipped when you convert to sRGB.

The reason you convert to sRGB for the web versions is that web browsers do
not respect colour spaces anyway and you will get unpredictable results if
you leave images in larger spaces when uploading them. In other words your
Ps or LR are colour space aware and will make correct conversions that you
can preview on your own monitor.

--
Cheers
Geoff