Subject: [Leica] "good enough" (was: a quick hello)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 19:01:39 -0400

Right now just a little short on cold hard cash.
I'd love to get my 90 APO ASPH Summicron going again.

But having it turn into a 120mm I'm less into.
Though I can see a bird man would be, to get birdie grabbing power.
Though the last time you used a rangefinder to grab a birdie would be when?
Ever?

The idea of shooting through just the center section of that gorgeous work
of art lens which I paid $3,495.00 for in sept of my 2000 years really does
appeal a lot less to me. For $3,495.00 I'd want the edges. That's where a
lot of that money went. Making sure the edges would be there.

My 85 1.8 Nikor OMG what a coincidence! cost me $320 almost an exact decimal
point cheaper I got one hot July in 2003.
And I have the f2 Ai version right here which is just tiny; looks like a 50.
Nikon optics are real nice.
Excellent.
But not as supercalfragalistic as Leica glass by a long run.
Certainly far far better than one tenth as good.
I'd say half as good to round it off.
Soon I'll be shooting through the not quite so well corrected edges of those
puppies.

Lots of AI and AF Nikon glass I've not used in a long time ready to be put
to work I've compiled for decades.
No doubt on a full frame D700 I swing for somehow in the near future.
In my wildest dreams a D3 or D3x.
Bodies any photographer would kill for.
And make do with less.

That's where I'm at.