Subject: [Leica] IMG: B&W HDR
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 16:24:01 -0700

Ted asked:

At 05:36 PM 5/3/2009, you wrote:

>But what did this HDR thing do? It appears to certainly perk the image up.

>Over to you.

>Thank you

Tina responded:

Thanks, Ted!  HDR just means High Dynamic Range and it's just like

dodging and burning in the darkroom but digitally.  What you do is

combine 3 or more photos at different exposures so you get all of the

highlight and shadow details that the camera can't capture in one

exposure.  That's what my lecture will be on at the Leica Seminar in

Cape Cod.  I'm still thanking my lucky stars that you will be doing

the critiques!!!<<<<<

Hi Tina,

Thank you. I googled HDR and it came up with this website for
Luminous-landscape below which I'm going to have a look at and see what it
might do for some of my medical photos. It looks like I'll be doing a major
exhibition in September as a fund raiser for the Victoria Hospital
Foundation. So I thought it might be worth a try to see if HDR will improve
the quality look of some of the prints for the exhibition.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/hdr.shtml

Cape Cod.  I'm still thanking my lucky stars that you will be doing

the critiques!!!<<<<<

Given this will be my last year I'm going to have some help doing the
critique! :-) My son Scott & his wife will be attending, so Scott and I will
be doing the critique in tandem!  I figure it should be wild given the great
rapport we have when discussing photography. It'll be a Laurel & Hardy event
I'm sure! :-) But I bet no one will forget the critique! :-)  Then I'm doing
a separate presentation. "The Art of Observation.  Light - Eyes - Action -
Click!" Hopefully it'll make folks sit up and take notice. :-)

Thanks for the HDR info. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot in some of
the medical scenes. Anyone interested in looking at some of the images to be
used in the exhibition can have a look here,  tedgrantphoto.com  - click on
the opening photo, then choose Medical Images.

Cheers,

ted