Subject: [Leica] 8 or 8.2
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 13:18:05 -0700

Frank Dernie offered in response to Douglas.:

Subject: Re: [Leica] 8 or 8.2

>>I don't agree with this. I get better results with my M8 than I did

with film in my M6. If there is ever a M9 I will consider it. I keep

thinking I should shoot some film for fun - but it isn't fun, once one

is used to digital...

Frank>>>>>>>>>>>

Douglas offered:>>

>> Not really, as the M9 full frame is going to suck all joy out of the

>> ownership of previous digital offerings. As they will say, M8.2,

>> what was

>> that thing?

>> As they now say, in a recession, if you've got it, don't flaunt it.

>> Apologies to to M8 owners but time to stick to film, or a cheaper

>> and more disposable digi. Technology is moving at a rapid rate, and until

>> stability factor is established I'd say it's time to keep your hands in
your

>> pockets as you're passing the camera shop and whistle jauntily as you
walk

>> by. That said by all means go in if you're buying film.......

>> Douglas<<<

Hi Doug,

Sorry mate I have to agree with Frank about using the M8 and results. Film
in and out of any M camera up to and including M7, 3 of them hanging off the
neck at the same time. The M8 is a superior producing image maker.

Full frame or not, the M8 is a great working camera and I'm glad I have one
in my hands. I'm using it regularly without thought about viewfinder, lens
coverage, size of sensor, noise of shutter etc. or any of its so called
short comings. If the photographer holding the camera concentrates on the
subject and capturing the observed moment the chances are he/she will come
back with wonderful photographs.  However, if the shooters mind is concerned
about any short comings, then the ultimate image capture may be missed while
not fully concentrating on the moment of the gut feeling to click!

Yep I understand the M8.2 is quieter and has a couple of other things the M8
doesn't. But if you don't think about them it makes little difference. And
if the Great Spirit gives Leica a helping hand and they do come out with a
full frame M9 with a few other bells and whistles, that will be great for
those who purchases them. One of them might be me! :-) But for the moment
man it's click away as fast as I can documenting whatever subject I happen
to be working on. And do that with not one iota of negativism  thought of
the M8.

Cheers,

ted