Subject: [Leica] 8 or 8.2
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 13:57:43 +1000

Sheesh, tough crowd! ;-) You guys must do some very precise and careful
framing. That's expecting a lot from this viewfinder. I just use the
frame-lines as an approximation and accept that I get  a little more
coverage than is shown sometimes.  I frame portraits slightly more tightly
in anticipation, if I really want to fill the frame. I don't expect 100%
accuracy, nor can use the thickness of a frame line difference to any
practical purpose. The M7 allowed for a slight crop at any distance anyway
(maybe tradition or a slide mount's dimensions?)

Typically shooting portraits or similar, with a 75 or 90, working around 2-3
metres, I noticed significant extra area coverage than shown, hence my
preference for the new M8.2 adjustment. Shooting landscapes or buildings or
anything out to infinity, especially with wides, I find the inaccuracy
completely unoticeable and unimportant.

When the M8 came into service, the *perception* expressed by many people was
that the framelines are overly tight. Partly maybe because they were now
suddenly seeing the immediate result, which didn't happen with film cameras.
Just like operator focus errors too (also of course the intolerance of the
sensor in that regard). Leica responded by adjusting the framelines
differently to make them less tight for common applications, common lens
focal lengths and focal distances.

Here's the official guff if anyone wants to look.

*M7:
*Correspondence of image in viewfinder and on film The bright-line
frame *corresponds
to a 23 x 35mm image for each focal length set to its shortest distance.* At
infinity, the film frame, depending on the focal length covers approx. 9%
(28mm) to 20% (135mm) more than shown in the corresponding brightline frame.

*M8:
*Matching of viewfinder and actual picture The size of the bright-line frame
*corresponds to an image size of 18 x 27mm at the shortest setting distance
for each focal length.* At infinity setting, depending on the focal length,
approx. 9% (28mm) to 23% (90m) more of the view is recorded than indicated
by the corresponding bright-line frame.

*M8.2:
*Matching of viewfinder and actual picture The size of the bright-line frame
*corresponds to the sensor size of 18 x 27mm at a setting distance of 2
meters.* At infinity setting, depending on the focal length, approx.7,3 %
(24 mm) to 18 % (90 mm) more of the view is recorded by the sensor than
indicated by the corresponding bright-line frame and slightly less for
shorter distance settings than 2 m.

--
Cheers
Geoff