Subject: [Leica] Panos from Manado
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:53:46 +0800

Hi Luggers,
Esther and I have been away again - first with a stop over in
Singapore (where we were married 35 years ago and where three of our
four children were born) and then on to Manado in Northern Sulawesi
where my former Chinese business partner sponsors an orphanage and a
university which we also support. Before we get to the orphanage and
university convocation pictures here are some panos from the
spectacular scenery.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Manada/Lightning_Volcano.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/coh4gs

One evening there was a thunderstorm around the base of Mount Lokon -
a supposedly extinct volcano - from which steam continually rises on
the far right side of the mountain (from our vantage point).
I set up the M8 on a railing - set exposure at 8 seconds - using the
Tri Elmar at 50mm - and used the timer at 2 seconds. The noise
reduction on the M8 - which takes 8 seconds for an 8 second exposure -
meant that I could only expose every 18 seconds. It took many tries to
have the shutter open when the lightning flashed.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Manada/FishSunsetw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/dxvh8x

Sometimes the elements just come together for you. This one was made
easier using Esther's Pana G1 and the 45 - 200 zoom.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Manada/LilypadVolcano2PanM8Tri.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/czpxom

When I got bored with all the kodachrome skies I screwed on my B&W IR
filter and took some some IR shots with the M8
Here is a 2 panel of the Lily Pond at the Gardenia Rest house with the
Lokon Volcano in the background.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Manada/LilypadVolcano2PanM8Tri.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/czpxom

Here is the view from the Manado ferry terminal taken from the top of
the Hotel Celebes - which is owned by a classmate
of my Chinese partner. You expect Somerset Maugham to be sitting in
the hotel bar - it is that kind of place.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Manada/6panviewHotelCelebesM8Triw.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/ctgnot

And here is a sunset from the Manado water front with Bunaken Island
to the right of the 5 panel Pano taken with the M8 and the Tri Elmar.
Bunaken is a world famous diving area and a national park in Indonesia

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Manada/BunakenSunset5PanM8TriW.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/dx23ro

The air in Manado when it was sunny was so clear that you could see
the edges between objects and the sky - just like the emulsion ridges
on a kodachrome slide. Coming from smoggy Hong Kong it was simply
incredible. I hope Manado never gets any industry!!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Manada/5panLokonVolM8Tri50W.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/dz9u7o

And lastly here is the fishing pier facing Bunaken Island. The locals
find time to fish every day at all times of the day but the fish seem
to bite more at sunset.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Manada/4panM8TriFishBunakenW.jpg.html
http://tinyurl.com/dgjclk

Please enjoy,