Subject: [Leica] Glorious weather in the garden - the continuing story, a culinary reportage
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 15:02:57 +0200

Thanks everyone for looking and commenting,

It's now midday Sunday and it looks as if it's going to be another
scorcher :-)

If any one can get here within the next 15 minutes - there's still some
cake left. :-)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9369.jpg.html

Its like a Black Forest Cherry Cake, but the cake mixture is made of
crumbled black bread, 8 eggs and ground almonds. Personally, I think
it's better with ground hazelnuts - but don't tell the missus. The icing
is a mixture of whipped cream, mascarpone, thickened cherry juice and a
shot of rum, sprinkled with almonds and chocolate flakes.

But back to yesterday, and following on from the first three shots:

while the ladies and our son were outside, I had to carry on in the
kitchen but with short breaks to get some fresh herbs for the kitchen

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9379.jpg.html

have a pause for a drink and shoot our cherry tree, which is now in full
bloom

 http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9398.jpg.html

stroke the cat - always calming when things are stressful

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9399.jpg.html

Then back to the kitchen to check the main course: cubed belly pork
fried in seasoned flour, then very slowly braised overnight in beer and
stock with onions, tomatoes and tiny Turkish peppers

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9373-Edit.jpg.html

put the spuds (potatoes) on to steam and warm the soup through (yellow
and orange lentils with fenugreek, coriander, ginger and coconut milk
and a dollop of my homemade apricot and peach chutney with chopped
Scotch Bonnet peppers)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9380.jpg.html

The final touch - after liquidising -  add very finely pared, fresh
Chinese garlic (no separate cloves, it's all in one piece)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9389.jpg.html

Bring it out into the garden and serve sprinkled with fresh coriander
and parsley (see herb garden)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9392.jpg.html

After the soup, a beer and, dare I admit it - a quick Gauloise. Then the
main course.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/1_MG_9395.jpg.html

The beer is called Turmbl?ser and is a brand sold by the Netto
supermarket chain in Germany - mild and slightly sweet, a bit like
Belgian beers.

I refrained from taking pictures of the washing up :-)

Cheers
Douglas

Replies: Reply from leica at ralgo.nl (bruce golding) ([Leica] Glorious weather in the garden - the continuing story, a culinary reportage)
Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Glorious weather in the garden - the continuing story, a culinary reportage)